Stuck for ideas of what to watch next? Browse our selection of genres and decades to find hidden movie gems or rediscover old time classics.
From thrilling page turners to beautiful novels, we present you books and authors similar to the ones you love. Enjoy our recommendations – from bookworms for bookworms.
If you share our passion for music, have a browse through our list of genres and discover unmissable artists and songs from the past 50 years. You’ll find a bit of old, a bit of new and a bit of something you probably have never heard of before.
Whatever type of game you’re looking for, you’ll surely find one that tickles your fancy here. Choose your next favourite from one of our wonderful articles and get playing!
Indeed. Our mighty little app is called itcher and its full-time job is to suggest movies to watch based on what you like. itcher does all the hard work so you don’t have to.
Even when, after a few searches, you stumble upon a list of movies similar to the ones you like, there’s usually a few limitations in the selection.
1. Lists tend to contain movies from the same director, writer or with the same actors. This shouldn’t be a problem if you are not strictly a fan of all the above, but if you are then you’ve probably already watched all the suggested movies.
2. Lists may group films together by genre, but your taste in movies could be eclectic. Then it becomes difficult to pigeon-hole your favourite movies and find suitable matches.
3. You don’t judge a book by its cover, or a film by its promotional poster. You trust real reviews from real people; promotional materials may be easy on the eye and trailers may have all the good bits from a movie leaving nothing else to look forward to.
Remember how, just a few years ago, you could spend entire Sunday afternoons choosing a rental video to watch? It was all part of the experience: browsing through different film categories, picking up a DVD, looking at the back of the case for more information on the film, putting it back on the shelf…
Hours and hours would go by. It was simply another way to spend a dull Sunday doing something nice. Part of the fun of watching a rental movie was in the choosing.
Video shops have mostly closed down and we seem to have lost our patience rummaging through movie titles. Maybe we have simply gone “upmarket”: if we compare video shops to charity shops and movie streaming to shiny department stores, we have moved to a different type of retail experience.
However, there are still some charity shops fans that love rummaging and will never set foot in a brassy, noisy and expensive department store.
…if we compare video shops to charity shops and movie streaming to shiny department stores, we have moved to a different type of retail experience.
And yet, in both types of shopping experiences, you need a starting point: movies you like and would like to watch more of.
itcher is like having a catch-up with your friends, talking about your favourite movies.
Not all apps have been created equal: some will tell you more about the background of the film, others will help you compile a list of favourites.
itcher goes one step further and will not only match movies to your personal preferences, but will also retrieve ratings from users around the world giving you a realistic picture of whether you will like the movie or not.
itcher is like having a catch-up with your friends, talking about your favourite movies and comparing notes about the ones you have watched and the ones you haven’t watched.
Maybe there’s still is a video rental store around the corner from where you live. And maybe you want to have a little browse in there to check what’s new.
You can still do a quick search before you go for types of movies that are similar to the ones you love, and check if there are in stock at the shop.
What itcher can do:
1. builds a profile of your favourite movies and scans for similar movies based on other users’ recommendations and ratings
2. brings up a list of results based on real users’ recommendations
3. connects you with people from around the world: making new friends has never been easier